Friday, September 22, 2006

Sushi of Champions


I'm having issues with my thought process...it's in Franglish. Now, I'll want to say something, but it's French that tapers into English. I'm pretty sure no one would be able to understand me.

Yesterday I took a good, relaxing Pilates class. It was delightful.

My girlfriend Elana, that I haven't seen in a grand total of 1 year, invited me to see her at this Latin Ballroom Social. I had to sweet-talk the girls at reception into letting me get in for free. I went for maybe 20 minutes; I said hi to Elana, talked to some Russian named Igor (I kid you not), and jetted as soon as they had an all inclusive salsa.

I met up with old roommate Lauren and her flatmate/my girl Denysha. We went out with their other flatmates, and assorted other friends, to go get sushi at Sushi Park. One of their flatmates is an Italian exchange student, Nina. She brought 2 of her co-Bocconi guy friends, and we battled language barriers all night. They had never eaten Sushi, let alone Sashimi, before. I shared a plate of Sashimi with Nina, and the boys shared a plate. We (being Denysha, her roommate, and me) had to teach them how to use chopsticks, and how to eat sushi. They weren't nearly as successful as they thought they were, but at least the food managed to mostly enter their mouths. And they loved the sashimi. The whole dinner made me ecstatic: Foreigners and Sushi?! Pure bliss.
It was a large group, too. 12 people?! Sushi Park didn't like us very much, but we flipped a big bill, so they got some reward in the end.
We had a great time, though. Lots of laughs. I made an agreement with one of Nina's friends, Fillipo, that I would help his English if he taught me Italian. He's very, very nice, so I'm going to hold him up on that.
We left the restaurant and started walking to some bar. I'm not exactly sure where they were intending on going, but the Italians had a mission, and I wasn't going to be the one to stop them. We ran into the OTHER Italian exchange students on the street. They were very drunk. And they are Italian. Wonderful combination. Very interesting, loud conversations happened for about half an hour on 11th between 2nd & 1st. We melted into an even larger group, and started crawling (the Italians were walking REALLY slowly!)back to campus to go to some Belgium place. The NYU kids were walking in front of the group, the Italians far behind...and ranting in Italian!
One of the Italian exchange students, Rafaele, is particularly good-looking. He started talking to Lauren and me (Lauren said that he was "totally into" me, and wasn't paying any attention to her...at which I retorted with a good & hearty chuckle at the thought), in which it became quite apparent that not only was he sober, but that he understands that he is attractive. He was trying to give me a few Italian pointers, of which one he told me to tell him, "Tu stei bello." You are handsome. I laughed at that phrase, and told him he was silly. I much rather the lessons from Fillipo.
The bar wasn't open anymore, so they hit up another place nearby to grab a few drinks. Lauren (who was more involved in her Odwalla bar) and I left early, at 2am.

I love that whenever I go out with Denysha or Lauren, something ridiculous happens to me. And they're always the type of situations where I know I could write a book about them, if only I was better at storytelling.

I woke up early today to go to an IBEX meeting. Some woman from Sciences Po was here to talk to us going to Paris. I'm not as worried as I was before, but I'm still annerved about it all.
And I'm exhausted.

Off to the gym....

No comments: