Wednesday, June 07, 2006

NYC For A Day

So I drove into the city with Mom and Craig on Saturday. Mom had a wedding to go to for one of Dad’s assistants in Long Island, so she offered the free ride in for us. I went to see the apartment I’m hoping to sublet, and Craig went in because he is unbelievably bored in our little New England town. It took a few hours to get into Long Island, we got lost perhaps twice. On our way down, though, the girls I was supposed to meet up with that day for the apartment let me know that they forgot I was coming down, and that they were at one of the girl’s sister’s weddings. They would try to come back Sunday evening, but no promises. I was livid.
When we ended up at the parents’ hotel, my Dad brought us to eat at some ritzy hotel restaurant. We talked about music, business, France, my sublet….and I ate one of the magnificently tasting and ludicrously filling lunches ever; a shrimp burger. It is what it claims to be…it is a burger made out of packed shrimp. Delicious.
Craig and I waited to hit up the LIRR to get into the city finally, and we got into Penn Station probably around 4pm. We took the subway up to 50th street and walked to Molly’s apartment over in Hell’s Kitchen (I stayed at hers for the night, while Craig went to a friend’s in New Rochelle). Her apartment was absolutely adorable. She had a friend over, Mike, and we talked for a while only for the boys to conclude that they wanted to go to Guitar Center over near Union Square. Alright, we went.
As we’re in Guitar Center, my friend Rob (whom I was supposed to eat dinner with) called me to let me know that he had a few parties to go to, and he was eating dinner with his brother, but that he still planned on meeting up with me sometime. Right, sure. Frustration was quickly lurking. And Danny called to let me know that he wanted to see me as soon as possible, but he didn’t have a lot of time to kill, and that he wanted me to plan out an agenda for us. Having not been in the city for over 6 months, I insisted that we just meet up and walk around because I couldn’t remember for the life of me what there was to do specifically. After a while of bickering and lost phone connections, we concluded to meet at the cube in Astor Place.
All 4 of us met with him, and began walking around St.Mark’s Place. Molly and Mike parted with us, while us other 3 continued our path around the village. It was nice to talk to Dan. I could tell that he was a massive stress ball and a little bit on the fritzy side (hear the sarcasm….a little bit?), but he was calming down towards the end of our time together. Craig and I left him at the subway station, and got some Jamba Juice. Mmm Mmm.
We met up with Molly and Mike at a new little place over by school called Cafetasia. I got Pad Thai (of course), we split a calamari, and it was a wonderful (and cheap) meal. After that, some more loitering in stores, and then I brought Craig to Penn Station for his train to New Rochelle. We get there to find out he actually needed Grand Central, so he ran to a cab.
Andy called me and told me to meet him at Madison Square Garden (how convenient). As I walked to meet up with him, Rob called me and told me to go to a party that he was at so we could see each other. Okay, I thought, a nice little get-together should be neat. Andy and I walked and gossiped all the way to the place.
At this apartment, we could not get a hold of Rob so we did not know which apartment number to buzz. Luckily, a strand of guys our age (by our age, I mean around 20, since Andy’s an old man ;)…) came to the gates and let us in. Assuming this is the crowd we wanted, we followed them right to an apartment where the parents were greeting us at the door. It must be kosher, right?
Walk down the stairs of this NICE apartment, and we realize this shin dig is something as close to a, underage kegger in the city as possible. And it was all males (save a few females with questionable dispositions). But where, oh where, was Rob? Ah, there he is…talking to that person……. completely wasted. Wonderful.
He comes over and starts talking to us, we laugh for a second, and off he goes. Andy and I giggle about his ADD-ness, and continue to watch the awkward party around us unfold. We commented on how young the kids were (I’m so used to hanging out with people older than me that I’ve grown accustomed to thinking that anyone my age is young.), and observed some extremely amusing sights around us. Rob came back to us, slightly more sloshed, and started hitting on us. That’s odd, right? But why is he trying to rip off my shirt? And WHY ON EARTH is he all of a sudden molesting (oh, I mean hardcore full-handedly molested) Andy?! Completely confused, and partially frightened, Andy and I agreed to ditch the party if a DJ starts playing. And a DJ does start playing. We leave, laughing hysterically. *Andy, I’m keeping the conversation to us, because I think it could never be truly redeemed in writing.*
We walk around for a bit, hit up Times Square, and decided (stupidly) to go get some dessert at Maxie’s. The a la mode cheesecakes we ordered (I ordered the Triple Chocolate Brownie, Andy had the Apple something something), though glorious, were GINORMOUS!!!!!! I’ve never thought that a dessert was going to rip me apart like these did! We rolled ourselves out, and crawled back to our designated sleeping zones.
Molly had some friends over, and the room was a little smoky, so I read for a few hours until they went out for a late night walk.

On Sunday, I didn’t get much sleep. Dad woke me up via phone to make me call the apartment girls again, and to let me know they were going to be at the Renaissance in Time Square soon. The girl I would be subletting for told me that she’d be back at 6pm, but I couldn’t meet my potential roommate today. I got up, met up with Craig at Grand Central, walked to the Renaissance, and made Mom go out to get a wonderful 6th street Indian Lunch. I ate soooo much this weekend!
We walked around Prince Street and the West Village to kill time. James called me, which made me ecstatic.
Craig and I went to go see the sublet in Battery Park. It is exquisite! The girl was bubbly and eager to let me see the whole place and plan out our subletting. I put down first month’s rent, and I agreed to come back in the city 2 weeks later to meet the other one and finalize the deal. Craig was/is jealous.
A long drive home was accomplished by me as Craig slept and Mom talked with me.

No comments: