Monday, June 19, 2006

Another Trip to NYC, Plus New Jersey?

I think I've come to the conclusion that my weekends will revolve in either people coming to see me from afar, or me going to see other people afar...My months are being booked as we speak!

So, I drove in on my own to NYC for Sat&Sun. It took longer than it should to drive in because drivers are idiots. And it rained.

I would just like to note that I was going to be in Connecticut for the night, but someone bailed last minute, so I called the next person I had in mind, who happens to live about an hour into New Jersey. Ah, how life leads us...

I got into the city, parked my car in a garage near school, and went downtown to see the apartment that I viewed last time. Well, I was going to meet my potential roommate. And all I have to say about that is....no thanks. The girl was not my type of person...and when she said, "I smoke lots of pot," the red stop sign hit my face. Hard. So, I am thinking that it's all for the best, though it's a shame. That place was beautiful!

I had a few hours to kill, so went to Starbucks and called up Paul to hang out with me. Paul, for those of you cocking your heads in flusteration, is my classmates from Stern who joked with me all fall about us stalking each other. All in good fun.
Anyways, he came down, and we walked around the seaport for a few hours. Talked a lot. It was nice. Good to see a friendly face. He came along with me to view the newer apartment potential on Wall Street. The girl's from NYU Gallatin, my age, oringated from Boston, wicked nice, we got along very well, her boyfriend was sweet, and the apartment was beautiful. I would like to live there. We're going to stay in touch and see how things go.

Paul went home to Long Island, and I went to campus to walk around. I called up Neil (who told me he was in the city then, too), and I met him at Amy's Bread Bakery over in the West Village while he happily ate. It was a brief visit.

Bhinish met up with me at Washington Square, and told me to take the NJ Transit to his station where he'd pick me up late. And he jetted off to pick up his grandmothers. So off I went to Risotteria (only one of my favorite eateries around school) to buy some gluten-free cookies. And that was my dinner.

It was sweltering in NYC the whole weekend, so I was a nice glob of liquid the whole time there.

The trainride took about an hour. I waited at the station for a while, and read some more, until Bhinish came over, grandmothers and all. So silly.
We went to his house, where we talked until late. It's funny how classically Indian families are so conservative...his grandmothers wouldn't go to bed until he left the guest room I was sleeping in! They must have known I'm a vixon. Well, they also kept insisting that I ate, and that they would make something for me. But I was just not hungry this weekend. They weren't very happy about that.
Keep in mind, I didn't actually personally talk to them, they only speak Gujarati, and I...do not. Bhinish translated everything, and I had deja vu from visiting Felix's family in Germany.
Went to bed. Slept. Woke up, woke up Bhinish. That boy does not wake up quickly! About 3 hours after we had woken up (which was full of, "no thank you, i'm not hungry"), we left the house. And he eats A LOT of sugar.
Knowing my affinity for Indian culture, he brought me to this little India-town nearby. I was in my element. Went to some music/dvd shops, listened to some music, sari shopped, and hung out at some Indian food joint, where I agreed to consume a mango lassi. We talked some more, lots of talking, and then hit the train station where I would go back to the city and drive home. He bought me some papri chaat for my travels. What a sweet boy. Literally.

No comments: