Monday, July 16, 2007

Happy Belated Bastille Day!


Wednesday was a change of pace at work. We went for a tour at The Explorer's Club, which is this highly elite club where you can only join the club if you've traveled to the ends of the earth for some scientific reason or studying. It was fascinating, and they have so many interesting artifacts and other assorted facts throughout the entire building! The guy basically thought that Emily, a co-intern, and I were these future explorers/know-it-alls because we knew a lot of the things he was telling us about. That means he would ask us questions to test our knowledge. Usually we had an idea for the question, but no definitive answer. I enjoyed myself immensely.

Thursday I did nothing.

Friday was the day I FINALLY got my IKEA furniture. But, much to my ignorance of their mission statement, I had work all day on building my bed frame that I bought from them. But it's finished, and I sleep on a real bed now! Propped it up with raisers, and I have storage space under it that could fit a few people. I was so excited to have my bed done with, that I went to KMART to buy myself a bookcase. Assembly required once again, so another few hours went by in a flash. The funny thing is that the bed came earlier than said, AND the Verizon guy (who was scheduled to come 2 hours after) came at the same time, as did 2 packages for me! It was like a zoo in my apartment! But after about 5 hours of complete chaos, the internet was still broken, my room was completely squared away, and I was exhausted. 6pm meant naptime for me, and I even slept during a conversation with my mom on the phone. Talent, I must say.
Then Deejay came home, and we wanted some flavored beers; there's this great beer recipe called a Monaco I experienced in France, and he took to it kindly. Too bad we bought pale beer instead of the correct lager beer. But it was still alright. He came with me to Celina's birthday party in the Lower East Side at SkinNY Bar. It was alright, but I knew no one except Deej and Celina, so we left after an hour. We walked around for a bit before we went back home.

Saturday Deej and I just walked around for a little bit before we made a terribly impulsive buy of canvas and acrylics (on discounts, of course). The thought was to paint paintings that meant something to us for our rooms. The dead is done, and it wasn't such a bad idea, actually.
Danielle came over and we ordered some thai food while having some fun on my dating account (that has turned out to be a lot more entertainment than we ever dreamed it would be). Deej left, and we ended up watching Pan's Labyrinth, which was absolutely intense! I could not wait to see the next scene, and yet, I was totally dreading it! It's left a bit of an imprint on me right now.

Sunday I went to Bastille Day hosted by FIAF. It was not very French, and I was disappointed in it overall. But I was actually on a date with this guy I've stumbled across named Lee. He's pretty deadpan, so we had a fun time making jokes for a while. We paid $5 each to go wine tasting at the festival. Here's the funny part: the French wine tasting WAS French, but the manner at which they did it was American. They wanted us to taste 3 different wines, about half a glass each. BUT they had a lot of people to get through, so they encouraged you to finish quickly. We ended up drinking about 1.5 glasses of wine in 10 minutes, and we felt pretty spacey. We grabbed a crêpe and talked some more. A great guy, I enjoyed his humor.
I got home to paint more with Deejay. The paintings actually turned out pretty great. I'm excited!

Yesterday work was frustrating as all hell. My boss doesn't know much about business at all, and I was writing a pretty professional letter. She's a journalist, and was trying to make it like an article, and I was trying to tell her the entire time, "No, that's not how you do it." About 3 hours we finished with an alright product, but I was ready to slug something, that's for sure.
Andy and I ended up getting dinner at this little Japanese place on St Mark's Place. It was great, and we stuffed ourselves silly. We then topped it all off with a jaunt to the west side for Tea & Sympathy: this FABULOUS British shop full of imported treats! I bought some great tea, and chocolate, and other treats. It was like being 2 little kids in a candy shop for Christmas! The guy probably thought we were truly nuts!

1 comment:

David Julian said...

Hahaha, "stumbled across"...