Thursday, July 05, 2007

Busy First Week


What have I been up to since I got back?
Well...
The party went alright. All of 12 kids came or something small like that. But my thoughts are that those who really care that much will come, or at least tell me why they can't come. So, at least I know who thinks about me.
I just feel bad for Mom, though. She bought enough food for 40 kids, and only 12 of us (though hungry and excellent eaters) could do so much.
Eric and Joey decided to raid the basement and ended up finding some of Aimee and my old (and hideous) dancing outfits. They put them on, and I got pictures, but they stole the camera and deleted them from existence. We all watched a haunting show on the Discovery Channel, which was fun and interesting. Overall, a very chill day.

I drove back to the city with Dad. We had a nice talk. The traffic was excellent, so we got in ahead of schedule (which is a rarity, I assure you).
Got into my apartment in the East Village. It is a 4-flight walk-up (in US terms, the 5th floor). Thunder thighs, here I come!
When I knocked on the door, Deejay opened the door to me with a plate full of brownies. A perfect way to start a year-long living arrangement. Dad took us out to lunch, and then he was on his merry way back to Massachusetts.
The apartment itself is super small, but we don't need a lot, so it's just right. I moved in all of my stuff and have been strategically planning my room for optimal space usage.
Now if only I had furniture...
Lauren and I literally ran into each other on the street, so she joined me on a quick trip to Bed Bath & Beyond. Of course, we talked and indulged about men. And other super female topics that Lauren and I always talk about.
Met up with Nate, which was highly exciting. I made him go for a walk, which he didn't seem to be too wild about. We just joked around for a while, and I pulled him around the Village until I led us to Spice for dinner. I think I may have freaked him out while I was goofing off, but oh well, he should get over it.

The next morning I started my job at M4H, which is truly less-than-fun. But I got a shocking beginner's day, that's for sure...while in my Biz Cas, and my bout of jetlag, they lead me to a hospital? Where they tell me and other interns to play with the kids with behavior disorders and abusive pasts for a few hours? Woah, hold on there, Sally...
Apparently that wasn't a normal day, but still....WARN THE NEWBIES, ok!?!?! Luckily, the kids liked me and played with me quite a bit despite my sarcastic exhaustion.
Afterwards, us Grants/Research interns had to go to NYPL to research...something. My jobs and projects keep changing, and I am wicked confused as to my purpose here...but whatever.
That night, I made Lauren go for a jog around WSP. I am surprised as to how slowly we went. I kept up conversation most of the time. 4 miles in 1.5 hours? Very, very slow...But still a workout, right?
Deejay and I wrote our roommate contract late after. And I ate all of my Peanut Butter Panda Puffs.

Tuesday, work was boring. Stayed in the Foundation Center with the other Grants kids, and we just read and wrote. No noise. I could have fallen asleep the entire time. The one girl that I work closely with, Calista, and I get bored fast. But at least for lunch, we went out to Republic, this Asian fusion place. Really good food, and FUN! Reminded me of Wagamama's. Must go back sometime.
Work happened some more, then off to a big group intern meeting over by Grand Central (not so close by). It really wasn't that great of a meeting, and I am beginning to realize just how unorganized this organization is. It is RAN by the interns! I doubt any real employees do much for it at all! Anyways, I left early to go get a bistro table from Craigslist for our apartment.
Danie called me up and came over to help us grocery shop at Trader Joe's. I love us three together. We had a great time, and just food shopping!
We got home and ended up listening and dancing to middle school (aka really terrible) music until late.

Then, Happy Fourth of July. I slept in, made Deejay go on a run with me around (3.9 miles ain't bad). He's super tall, and damn, can that boy move! I felt like a crawling midget behind him the entire time! I think that was a successfully beating run for me.
Afterwards, we just stayed inside most of the day. Lazy rainy day. We must be boring people, because we don't do much really. In our defense, we needed the relaxation for once. He's so tolerant, I wonder how much he hates me yet. Insert awkward laugh here.
Around 8pm, Lars' other German friend called me to meet up. She just got in the city from Montreal, and I promised Lars I would show her around the city. I told her Houston and Broadway, but somehow she ended up on WEST Houston and VARICK!?! On the other side of the city. Off I walk to the other side, where I ended up taking her to my favorite café, Cornelia Street Café. I ate my bouillabaisse, and hummus, and we played with some adorable puppies. But she was exhausted, so I walked her back to her hostel in Chelsea. It was a long walk home.
I should be working right now, so that's the update for the day.
Sorry for the boring recollection, I just don't have much time...

No comments: