Monday, February 25, 2008

A Trip To DC

So a few Thursdays ago I woke up at 5am to drive down to Washington DC for a career fair at Georgetown U. The drive down was noisy, which made me sad. Really, people, who is actually awake enough to talk at that ungodly hour of day?
The career fair was....fairly unfruitful, methinks. I really don't like career fairs that much, I've decided. Not only do the table runners not usually want people for hire, but they're also not going to really help you get a job at that organization. A lot of the organizations were either looking for on-the-spot-start-work-on-Monday candidates or people with 5-7 years experience in the field of choice. Both options are not probably going to help out COLLEGE STUDENTS in job hunts. What college kid has either 5-7 years working in Cambodia already? I finally finished stealing lots of good treats and goodies from the recruiters and tried getting off of the campus to meet up with Aimee on some main street. Well, I got lost on the Georgetown campus. Mind you, I'm not used to campuses, so I was nervous because I was on closed fields of students, and it was quiet, and I was lost.
I finally found my way off of campus and back into real civilization - grumpy and tired and hungry - and I just HAPPENED to run into Lidjia from ScPo in Paris! AND she was holding a baguette, to boot! It was a great run-in, and she brought me by Rahul's house (who was also a buddy in France) to say a brief hello. I don't understand how I also happen to run into people from one part of the world in completely random other parts of the world. It's kind of creepy, the rate that it happens to me.
Anyways, I finally eat downtown some salad and waited for Aimee to pick me up. We ended up going to her friend Maureen's for dinner (gluten-free pizza, anyone?) and girls' night discussions. We finally stumbled back to Aimee's place and went to bed relatively early.

Just a quick note: Aimee's cat sleeps with me on my bladder. I'm glad that the cat likes me enough to cuddle at nighttime, but it's hard waking up in the middle of the night feeling really heavy and having a strong urge to use the facilities.

Friday Aimee accidentally locked me in her apartment, meaning no running, so instead I completely cleaned her place for a few hours instead. Afterwards I headed off to work at our organization's DC office, which is completely different than the NYC office. Kind of interesting, really...
Anyways, dinner was with Aimee and her boyfriend, Mike, at Legal Sea Foods. Another great gluten-free meal, where I ate far too much. Good wine, too.

I finally got my run on Saturday! A good 4-miler put me back in a good mood, and I felt compelled afterwards to drag Aimee to shop at Potomac Mills for some essentials that I lacked.
We met up for dinner at Five Guys, meaning I completely backstepped my dietary habits with a big greasy burger (no bun) and a LOT of fries. Since I'd already put the day's diet to hell, I decided to drive it home with a fabulous Mississippi Mud Pie at Cosi.
We went then to this bar, Buffalo Billiards, for someone's birthday. I knew no one, but then quickly finding myself flirting with a cute guy all night long. He's from Michigan. He's a musician and violinist. He was really cute. Too bad for me that he's so far away. At least I gave him my number, right? Aimee also interrogated the guy, once drunk, about whether or not he was a good guy. Thanks, sister, I'll take it from there.

Sunday was the drive back to the city. I had a nightmare drive back, though; imagine those commercials where these really skinny guys are being squished up to the wall of the bus by a gargantuan person in the seat next to them. That was me. Next to a 300-400 pound woman, and making love to the window for about 4.5 hours. I think it was the first time in my life I actually felt genuinely small.
Got home and went into grocery shopping chaos! Everyone and their mother were in the Whole Foods with me, and I didn't know what to do with myself! Just exercise patience, I guess.

No comments: