Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Moishe's Bakery


Why I love small mom & pop shops, run by Jewish people:
Deej and I were walking around in the sweltering heat after a great lunch at Pangea, when we decided that we wanted some challah bread (the good little Jews that we are). We go into Moishe's around the corner from our place, and order our challah. This boisterous yarmulke-donned older guy with the beard and curls bursts out of the kitchen with a steaming plate, yelling, "Fresh cinnamon sticks!...You two look too thin, and hungry! Here!" And he breaks a large, steaming cinnamon stick and gives them to both of us. Our eyes wide, like two children given a Wonka bar in a 1950s candy shop, take the AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS sticks from this kind man, and slowly (and in awe) savor our new favorite bakery in all of Manhattan's free treat.

On two separate notes:
I've been wooed! By a gym!!!! Long story short, Lauren and I went to try out the NY Health & Racquet Club for free. The guy there wooed us with free smoothies, and an irresistible semester-long plan. I now am a member. Oh lord, save me from my ways!!!! But it's an amazing place...
AND
I have never sweat pools for yoga before in my life, until today. Yoga to the People! It's suggested donation-based, and by the end of the hour, not only was I feeling tired and not keeping up, but my mat was wet and I looked like I had taken a shower while in down facing dog. It was actually funny looking. The guy walked around and tried to get me to stop gripping onto the edge of my yoga mat, while I had to tell him, "It's too wet, I'll slip if I don't." My outfit is still dripping on my door right now.

Anything else happening? Hmmm work, reading, and........some drama here or there. Meetings, mingling....not much really to discuss. I enjoy the smaller stories in life right now more than the overall hour-by-hour.

No comments: