Monday, August 21, 2006

Find a Mattress


Friday night, my sister concluded that it was obligatory to go to the movies. So, we went to go see Little Miss Sunshine. Everyone should go see that movie. I haven't laughed that well in a theatre since...I can't remember when. It was an excellently good time, and Jesse cackled the entire time. And it ended in a good way; nothing too Hollywoodesque, nothing too Goethe. My favorite character in the movie was Dwayne, who looked JUST LIKE my friend Aaron. Except this kid was with black hair, and a bit shorter, and skinnier, and emo.

Saturday I went out to lunch with Steve and Eliot, my high school boys from PA. We concluded to go to a mall and eat at the Cheesecake Factory. Steve's deathly allergic to nuts, though, and I'm lactose intollerant...so we actually didn't eat any cheesecake...but we had good food! I will fully admitt I have a strange addiction to salmon. We had a lovely time talking, joking, catching up. I gave them some guidance on applying to college. We joked a lot. I proposed to Eliot. Those boys are wonderful, and so old for their ages! Who would think that they're only seniors in high school!?!
Morgan the Mormon swung by at nighttime to say hi/bye. She just returned from working all summer in upstate NY at GE, and was on her way out back to WPI. It's funny because we've known each other since we were 8 or so, and now it's the kind of friendship where we don't really have that much we need to say, but we just want to see each other. We watched a movie with my family.

Sunday was the big day of going to visit Scott at Lake Compounce with Jesse and Jeff (who just returned from a summer in Ecuador). 2 hours of boy-talk, and Jeff telling us his hilarious mishaps while in South America (the key stories: almost being kidnapped in Colombia & dancing with 13 year-olds).
We finally got to the park, which is located in the middle of nowhere. If we weren't making a real effort to find this park, I'm sure we would have never found it. It's in the middle of a forest, tucked between some mountains. And man, it's an old-school park. It reminds me of Canobie Lake park, only more IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, and smaller, and older. We roamed around for a while, lost in the park. Jesse and I are both wimps and refuse to go on rollercoasters, so Jeff had to exercise patience with us and our wimpyness. Scott finally found us, and it was like having the 4 Musketeers back together. Reminisced, caught up, and walked. it was HOT outside, so we were slow, and we sweated a lot, but we still had a good time. We went on a ski lift ride, and Jesse nearly passed out (and hyperventilated, at the same time) from the height.
We experimented with Fried Oreos, which are about as disturbing as the name, if not moreso.
Scott introduced us to his co-workers/roommates. It's really weird when people you don't know at all, or haven't heard of, come up to you and say, "It's so good to FINALLY meet you! We've heard so much about you!" Thanks. Nice to meet you, too?
We 3 sat in the front row and watched Scott's 2 shows for the day: Country Unleashed & Rockin' Radio Replay. The first one was hilarious, because it was all country music, and we danced with the performers. By the second performance, Scott and his partners integrated us into the show, which made it all the better. Scott had to wear a mullet wig that made him look like a caveman. He dances the robot well.
It was a short day, but one thing is for sure: I love those boys.


Finding a mattress & bed frame for my NYC apartment is nearly impossible.
I finished "Breaking the Spell." I think I'll try on "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood for size.

No comments: