Saturday, January 12, 2008

Right...


I keep forgetting to write in the blog. I either don't feel up to the challenge, or I just forget altogether. That is not to say that I am terribly busy; I'm just not really enthused about blogging lately. But alas, the things I do for the sake of immortalization via documentation.

Isn't it crazy that, at least in NYC, one almost always walks by little lounge cafes when they are not looking or particularly needing/have time for them. And yet, when all you want to do is curl up on a couch (or just comfortable seating), sip tea, talk to friends, and read, they are few and far between! No "Friends" Central Perk to your rescue, as Rob and I concluded on a coffee shop hunt last Monday. We walked around all over the East Village, and could only find restaurants and bars! It was so frustrating...but we finally sought refuge in a little cafe before it closed down and had a hurried night of hot beverages and catch-up.
Afterwards I skipped over to Lauren's where we watched the last half of a more recent Harry Potter (I deduced by the thickness of Harry's neck). Sometimes I feel like Lauren, Jenni (her roommate), and I are in "Charmed"; three relatively attractive girls out to save the world from itself.

Tuesday I went to FIAF after work and talked some French. It's funny, the majority of people there are these younger, attractive people that I would probably befriend in bars or clubs near my apartment, and what do I do? I make a bee line towards the older men sitting down. I made friends with an old black man, Winston?, who was hard of hearing but could uphold a slow conversation in French (for the most part). Then a friend of his came over to join us, and the conversation took a screeching halt. His French was still in it's brand-new phase, and so it was hard for me to listen to his sentences that he pieced together while translating everything word-for-word. And the accent.....I'm not saying I'm bilingual, but I do speak with a bit more ease than most of the people I meet at FIAF events. Usually I'll just go off into a rant in French about something societal or whatnot. Does that make me a snob?
I finished my book, The Russian Debutante's Handbook. It was rather amusing. I thought of it as a rather accurate portrayal of the Russian-American way of life.

Thursday I got a call from Lauren to see a free movie screening for "Looking for Sunday". It was pretty terrible. I enjoyed the fact that Lauren said out loud during the credits, "Wow, Kim, I'm so sorry..." You could tell that the makers of the film were trying so hard to attract masses with sex and clichés that they forgot a comprehensible plot or any character development. Lauren, being the movie aficionado, had to walk me through the actual point of the story.
Afterwards, Craig, his girlfriend, and Jesse swung by for a bit to chit chat. It was fine. How we've grown...

Friday I ended up going to a last minute rock show? A rather heavy metal rock show, no less. Lauren and I, not being much of drinkers, pre-gamed with fruit and chocolate at Whole Foods, and then went to this show for meeting Jenni's new rock band (a bunch of boys from NJ...whom I found to be a rather peculiar, though funny, bunch). The music was loud, and some of it I actually enjoyed.
Afterwards the buzzed band (and Jenni) brought Lauren and I to Phebe's. Not drinking still, I started dancing my tail off in an open space near the bar. Her band members took that idea and ran with it. Oh man, white boys can't dance. Lauren and Jenni enjoyed it, too. Though, I think I only attract Middle Eastern men or something...odd...

Saturday I went to see an animated French film I was dying to see, Persepolis. Really well done! I highly recommend it. There is a lot jam packed into that animated movie, and I can't think of anything that was inappropriate at all in the film. So good...
I then ended up walking halfway across Manhattan to meet some kids at some bar, only to be redirected by Nate to a Peculiar Pub by campus. The night was alright, though there was a lot of PDA in the group (which I always dislike strongly), and no real attractive strangers in the bar. I wanted to leave early, but somehow got roped into staying longer with a girl to wait for her boyfriend, who took 1.5 hours too late. It put me in a grumpy mood, especially because I feel like an outsider with that group of people for the most part. Anyways....

Sunday I went to see Joe Iconis' Rock'n'Roll Band Jamboree! It was at a pretty fancy restaurant's underground theater. The food I got was simple and unadulterated (thank god they were willing to give me just some greens and berries!), which contented me. And the music was actually really good. I had a lot of fun; the group of performers were clearly enjoying themselves up on stage, and I knew a few of them, which made it even more enjoyable!

Yesterday was ugly out. I went to lunch with Rob at a really good sushi place midtown ("Would I ever lead you astray, Kim?"). I enjoy my time with Rob. He's a good guy, underneath the stony grumble.
I then ran to a dermatologist appointment. Meh.
Marion was running back to the city for all of an hour, in between Paris and Boston. I helped her with a bag upstairs and then abandoned her for the doctor's appointment.
Otherwise, yesterday was rather boring. I did read my book, and I am so excited about finishing it now because it became ultra interesting. Steppenwolf, you know it?

No comments: